Friday, March 2, 2007

The price of success

Many people often claim they would do anything for success. However, I've realized as I grow older the cost of success. Those people who are excellent at what they do, are absolutely passionate about it. One of my favorite people is Michael Jordan. He loved to play basketball. He enjoyed every moment of dribbling a ball and being on a court. What does it cost? Just limited friends, time with the family, and lack of a social life while he was playing. Which makes me wonder, do social networking sites such as facebook or myspace actually help us or hinder us in being successful? From what I can tell, in order to be succesfull at something you have to be absolutely devoted to it. How can we ever be devoted to anything if we're adding new myspace friends, or updating our profiles?

Personally, I think I'm finally beginning to see what it takes to be succesful. Those people who are successful completely committ themselves to what they want to do, and they don't care if you feel bad they didn't attend your social event, because they were working. In my own limited way, those people who I knwo that I would call succesful, basically just worked like there was nothing else going on in their lives, until they could afford the luxury of attending someone's party or social function. I guess its just hard for me to grasp because all my life, I've been the one attending the social functions, and I guess that would be my sacrifice for success. That would be my price for success. I guess, time will tell...

No comments: