Monday, January 28, 2008

Progress

Progress is one of the rarest things in life to witness. If you are lucky you can even live through it. However, many of us spend countless hours and days wishing to see progress in people, places, and situations that just simply seem destined not to. Recently, I was among the few lucky people who habitate this planet, and was able to witness such a euphoric phenomenon.

I have a very close friend who I think very highly of. For as long as I've known him, he has always been known as the funny guy, and nice/proper/good guy. He was always the one to open the door for someone, or to be a VERY polite gentleman when dealing with a lady. He always treated women with way too much respect, and put them on pedestals that reached the stratosphere. The ladies have always perceived him to be "cute" and "such a good person to talk to". It actually grossed me out. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I don't demand attention from the ladies with my looks or style, and I have also been a little guilty of being some of the adjectives aforementioned. However, it was a sense of politeness he had, that I never saw duplicated. The worst part, is that every time he said something funny, and made people laugh you knew he was holding back from saying something that would make people ecstatic.

Then today, it happened. He got on the phone with a girl and was a complete jerk, and funny at the same time. I mean if I was the girl I would think this guy is an asshole, but he's pretty right and funny too. The thing with funny people, is that they're usually right about what they're saying. It was transformation before my own eyes, and ears. I was ecstatic and excited that this happened. He was as he describes it "loose". A state of mind, I highly recommend.

Life is short, what do you have to lose. Be like Petey Greene, and speak your mind. If an ex-con can inspire millions, just imagine what you can do by speaking what's on your mind, and not giving a fuck about what people think. I admit, this is easier said than done. But courage is a commodity reserved for the few.

No comments: