Monday, September 3, 2007

The Run of My Life

I agreed to help my sister move out of her apartment in Boston. I had to take a bus up there. To get to the bus, I had to take a train. To get to the train I had to drive home, park my car, and then get a ride there. Be that as it may for my sister, I was willing to go thru all the trials and tribulations that lead up to me finally getting a Uhaul and dragging all her stuff down to wonderful New Jersey.

Anyhow, with all the hoops and hurdles I had to run thru, I was bound to run late and I did. I couldn't believe how late I actually ran. I missed the first train I had to catch and that set me back by 40 minutes. Which inevitably left me late for everything else I had to catch. So as I was on my second (of 3) trains, I decided I was gonna change my plan. I decided I was gonna take the Path train to the World Trade Center and risk getting to the bus to Boston.

So finally, I had my mind made up. My bus ticket was non-refundable, and if I missed it I'd probably have to buy another ticket, and wait an hour. I got off the train at 5:45 PM at the world trade center, and I had no idea which way the Bus was. I figured I can catch a cab. But like I said, it was 5:45 PM and getting a cab was practically impossible. There was a cop on the street and I decided to ask him if he knew which way Canal Street was. "Yeah, about 9 blocks that way". I took off. With my work clothes on and a duffle bag hanging across my body, I took off in the direction of Canal street. I ran passed people, on the street, jumped over objects, and accidentally hit innocent pedestrians without realizing it with my bag.

"You okay!?" a cop yelled. I said "which way to the Fung Wah bus?" He yelled "Five blocks up that way". Once again, I took off. This time it was worst because I was in China town, so it was packed. I didn't have a watch and couldn't gauge how much time I had, and on top of that it was up hill. For a split second, I decided I should quit and then it hit me that I ran too hard and too far to quit. So I sucked it up, and ran with all my might towards the bus.

I arrived at a red light. There was tons of New York City traffic between me and my bus. I waited, let the light change, and sprinted towards my bus. With sweat dripping dripping down my body and onto my fingers I grabbed my ticket and gave it to the Asian lady. I boarded the bus, looking like I just stepped out of a shower with all the confidence in the world.

I sat down and put my bag down and pulled out an extra t-shirt to dry off. It was in that moment I realized the power of Pushing. In that ironic stupid little moment I knew I had what it takes to get something done. Its a beatiful feeling.

No comments: